The lymphatic system consists of the body’s lymph vessels, lymph nodes, and lymphoid tissues. This system is responsible for acting as the “filtering stations” of the body for fluids that are not collected by veins or venous capillaries. Lymphedema refers to the abnormal collection of high-protein fluid beneath the skin. This swelling, called edema, most often occurs in the arms or legs, but it can occur at any part of the body. Lymphedema tends to develop when lymph vessels are damaged or absent entirely, or when lymph nodes are removed.
Types of Lymphedema Therapy
Lymphedema can be divided into two types:
Both types of lymphedema relate to lymph vessels or lymph nodes that are damaged, missing, removed or otherwise impaired.
IPR’s In-Home Lymphedema Therapy Services
Our treatment services for lymphedema include:
- Assessment of affected areas and levels of sensations
- Assessment of functional mobility
- Assessment of impaired daily activities
- Assessment of pain level
- Assessment of skin integrity
- Exercise Program – A personalized exercise program to assist in improving range of motion, strength and ability to perform everyday activities
- Manual Lymph Drainage – A gentle massage that stimulates the lymphatic system to decrease the swelling
- Medical Compression Bandaging – facilitates Lymph flow and assists in maintaining the positive effects of the manual Lymph drainage between treatments
- Patient/caregiver education – Proper skin care, self-massage, exercise, and precautions to assist in making positive life-style choices
- Sequential Pumping – used as needed to assist in Lymph drainage in combination with manual Lymph drainage and medical compression bandaging
- Strengthening test
What are the benefits of the IPR’s Lymphedema Therapy Program?
The key benefits of our lymphedema therapy program are:
- Opportunity to receive treatment at home
- Reduced swelling and discomfort
- Increase in mobility
- Improvements in balance
- Increased sense of control
IPR’s Lymphedema Therapy Program Services
IPR provides a valuable lymphedema therapy program to our patients in order to promote more successful treatment. Our lymphedema therapy program services include:
- An integrated protocol for reducing lymphedema and its symptoms. It does not “cure”; but rather alleviates swelling and pain
- Diabetic and safety counseling as well as exercise instruction are incorporated
- It combines manual lymph drainage maneuvers, multi-layer bandaging and fitting of compression garments
- It is administered in the home under doctor’s orders
- Patients are typically seen 3 to 4 times each week for 4-6 weeks
- Under certain circumstances and always in consultation with the attending physician, lymphedema pumps may be incorporated into the treatment
Why Choose IPR for Lymphedema Treatment?
At IPR, we pride ourselves on our outstanding lymphedema treatment services. We provide comprehensive treatment, including medical services and a beneficial therapy program. By providing our patients with the necessary tools and services needed, we are able to help treat symptoms and improve overall quality of life. By choosing IPR’s lymphedema treatment service, you can ensure that you are receiving the most dedicated, comprehensive, and effective treatment in the Greater Houston community.